- In 2007 the police department took over the abandoned vehicle program for vehicles abandoned within city limits.
- This program was previously run by the Missoula County Sheriffs Department.
- Police employees, along with dedicated volunteers, tag vehicles which have been reported as abandoned.
- The city periodically sells unclaimed abandoned vehicles at auction. Sign up to be notified about abandoned vehicle and surplus/salvage city vehicle auctions.
- You can sign up to be notified about auctions of abandoned vehicles and other surplus vehicles and equipment.
Why Police Involvement?
- Abandoned vehicles are not only an eyesore but also a hazard.
- They are unsafe to play in or around, rodents and other animals nest in them.
- Abandoned vehicles have a negative effect on neighborhoods, contributing to the "broken window" problem.
Laws and Ordinances
- For more specific information, here are links to Missoula Ordinances:
- Here is a link to an applicable Montana state code:
Report an Abandoned Vehicle