Street Maintenance Projects
Chip and Seal Work - 2021
We plan to complete chip and seal work on the following streets in 2021, as weather and other conditions allow.
*These projects will include a re-configuration of the street striping. See below for details.
Following chip and seal treatment of the streets below and after the chips are allowed to settle for two to three weeks, crews will sweep up the chips and apply striping in the new configurations described below.
Dore Ln. (Brooks St. to McDonald Ave.)
The striping on this section of Dore Ln. will change in order to provide connectivity for bicycles between the other portion of Dore Ln. and the Bitterroot Trail.
High Park Way
The City will add a bike lane in the uphill direction and stripe the designated parking as shown in the graphics below. Bike traveling downhill will share the lane with vehicle traffic, as it does now. The hope is that the new striping will help to slow vehicle traffic and encourage bike travel.
Rattlesnake Dr. (Missoula Ave. to Creek Crossing Rd.)
The following changes to the street will take place:
- Removal of curb extensions at Pineview Dr. and Mountain View Dr.,
- Addition of pedestrian-activated Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFBs) at Pineview Dr.,
- Installation of marked crosswalks at Pineview Dr. and Mountain View Dr., and
- Installation of striping and related pavement markings to legitimize bike lanes.
N. Russell St. (W. Broadway to Railroad St.)
The City will be adding buffered bike lanes on N. Russell St. between Broadway and Howell St. to improve safety for people riding bicycles by providing additional space between the vehicle travel lane and the bike lane. The striping reconfiguration will include removal of about 18 parking spaces along this portion of N. Russell St. No changes will be made to the striping configuration from Howell St. north—all striping will be replaced as it appears currently.
Other safety improvements include adding marked “piano key” crosswalks across N. Russell St. at the north and south corners of Birch St. and the south corner of Phillips St.
If you have questions about this striping reconfiguration work, contact Senior Transportation Planner Ben Weiss at 406-552-6352 or WeissB@ci.missoula.mt.us..
Milling and Paving Projects
See the City's Community Investment Projects (CIP) Map for more infrastructure projects.
High Park Way—39th St. to Whitaker Dr.—Completed
Other Milling and Paving Projects
Details on these projects will be provided once available. Also, this list could change once work begins.
- Ben Hogan Dr.: Broadview Place to Highland Park Dr.—Completed
- North Ave.: 26th St. to Reserve St.
- 26th St.: North Ave. to Central Ave.
- W. Central Ave.: Central Ave. to Reserve St.
- Missoula Ave.: Van Buren St. to Lolo St.—Completed
Intermittent Milling, Paving, and Overlay Projects
- Rattlesnake Dr.: Lolo St. to Creek Crossing Rd.
- Lincoln Hills Dr.: Rattlesnake Dr. to Columbine Rd.
- Cohosset Dr.: Wapikiya Dr. to Saranac Dr.
- Arrowhead Dr.: Cohosset Dr. to Tahoe Dr.
- Myrtle St./3rd St. (crosswalk improvements)
- Linda Vista Blvd.: Paul Ln. to Scott Allen Dr.
- Scott Allen Dr.: Linda Vista Blvd. to Alisha Dr.
- Howell St. (south 1/2 of street) 1 ADA: Holmes St. to Mitchell St.
- Maple St.: N. Russell St. to W. Broadway St.
- Mount Ave.: from Brooks St. to Bow St.
- Shakespeare St.: from Phillips St. to Defoe St.
- Schilling St. (Greenway): South Ave. to 3rd St.
- Higgins Ave.: University Ave. to Brooks St. (after July 1)